WVRHS&M Members only "Coalfields" Field Trip Tour #2
Saturday, May 11, 2013
Mark your calendars again for an exciting and educational tour of the Appalachian Coal Fields! Due to time and not being able to cover everything during Coal Fields Tour #1, we have planned to finish our trip on Coal Fields Tour #2. If you did not join us last time, come and experience for yourself this unique area where coal is mined and shipped by rail AND LEAVE THE DRIVING TO US!
- Bluefield WV: Home of a big yard where the Clinch Valley line diverges from the Heartland Corridor main line. Still has a standing water tower and the old Lubritorium building is still used to service locomotives. Take a look here.
- Tazewell County VA:
- Bluefield VA (where Clinch Valley line forks off main line).
- Yards (home of crew change point for eastbound Pocahontas Division trains).
- Mercer County WV:
- Coopers (huge mainline bridge and also three bridges stacked up. Pocahontas Main on top, Bluestone branch underneath, and a state highway bridge directly underneath it.) Take a look here.
- McDowell County WV:
- US 52 communities of Big Four,Keystone, Northfork, Kyle, Elkhorn Switchback, and Maybeury, all directly along the Pocahontas Division Main Line.
- Welch. (County seat of McDowell; also confluence of Tug Fork and Elkhorn Creek, and where branch splits off to go to Gary WV.)
The cost is $50.00 per person (Members only). Meal stops are planned but all meals will be on your own. The trip duration is 12-14 hours. Boarding will be at the Parson's Table in Jonesborough, TN. Departure time is 7:00 am sharp!
To make reservations, or for more information, email Nick White at firstname.lastname@example.org. SEATING IS LIMITED. DON'T DELAY!
THIS IS A "VERY LONG TRIP" WITH VERY CURVY, MOUNTAIN ROADS.
PLEASE CONTACT NICK WHITE FOR TRIP DETAILS!